My Saigon top 10 - The War Remnants Museum & Independence Palace

#2 The War Remnants Museum 

On my second day in Vietnam, I take a step back into history at the War Remnants Museum and Independence Palace, two of my Saigon highlights. I spend hours at the War Remnants Museum, which tells the story of the Second Indochina war through photographs, press clippings, documents and quotes from the Vietnamese, Agent Orange victims, journalists, foreign soldiers.

I am surprised to learn that the war is known as the American war in Vietnam; that the Americans were considered the aggressors by people in both the north and the south; and that the end of the war was celebrated as reunification by people in both halves of the country.

A few young people, disfigured from Agent Orange exposure of their parents or grandparents, are at the museum to share their stories and artwork. Their paintings and the photos of tanks crashing buildings I've visited in Saigon bring history to life for me. The whole experience is heart-breaking, eye-opening, and engrossing. I would go again.





#3 Independence Palace

Independence Palace is fascinating on many levels. Built in the 1960s, the palace served as both the home and offices of General Nguyễn Văn Thiệu, the President of South Vietnam during the American war. In April 1975, a North Vietnamese Army tank crashed through the gates and the president surrendered, marking the end of the 19-year war. The palace was renamed Reunification Palace.

Independence Palace remains frozen in time, with fabulous 60s architecture and furniture. (The games room tickled me pink; the gifted elephant feet horrified me.) Nothing has changed since the end of the war. You can see maps of the conflict, the chairs where President Nixon sat opposite (and lower than) President Thiệu, the room where President Thiệu issued his resignation speech. The effect is a curious mix of delightful and sobering.







Next: street food and craft beer

See my full list of Saigon highlights here